Things to do in the Blackball area
- Visit the famous Blackball Salami Shop.
- Blackball Bling and Kereru Crafts offer some handmade West Coast goodies.
- Visit the Working Class History Museum next door.
- View the old mine managers house/Blackball Community Centre (which is recorded as the South Islands most haunted building).
- Punakaiki pancake rocks (50 minutes).
- On Yer Bike: NZ’s Muddiest Offroad Adventures.
- Shantytown – heritage park modelled after traditional gold mining town
Blackball Hilton Yearly Events
Formerly the Blackball Hilton hotel hosts the following annual events:
The Blackball Pot Black Pool competition
Date: February (date TBC).
This pool competition features 36 players from the East and West coast of the South Island.
This 2-day tournament has been played on (or around) Waitangi Weekend since 2017.
Features a $1,000 prize to first place and some amazing pool players and games!
Annual Pub Crawl
Date: June (The Winter Solstice)
An epic event that has been running since the 1990’s, a competition for teams of 3, going between the 3 pubs in Blackball. Crawling, drinking and games, all battling for the coveted trophy!
Date: October (date TBC).
We pride ourselves on the spooky!
Dress up and enjoy spooky shots and cocktails, prizes for best dressed.
Miner’s Memorial Run
Date: November (date TBC).
This event is run by a small but dedicated crew.
Every year over 100 motorbikes leave from the Blackball Hilton and ride around the West Coast’s Paparoa Ranges.
Find out more about this event on Facebook.
New Years Eve
Date: 31 December.
From 9:30pm every year, we have a band to bring you into the New Year.
Accommodation books out fast so make sure you book at Formerly The Blackball Hilton in advance for the best New Years Eve you’ll ever have!